This label has been created in response to the need for packaging companies to quantify, compare and guarantee the recyclability of their packaging, as well as ensuring compliance with the legal requirements.
Madrid, 12 December 2018.- Under the name “Sello de Reciclabilidad” (Recyclability Label in English) the label identifying the percentage of packaging material that can be recycled has been established today. This is a voluntary identification label that has emerged in response to the need for packaging companies to quantify, compare and guarantee the recyclability of their packaging, as well as ensuring compliance with the legal requirements.
In addition to the evaluation performed to obtain this label, applicants gain exhaustive knowledge of the interferences that their packaging could generate in the recycling processes, as well as suggestions for improving their recyclability.
To perform this evaluation and obtain the label, the various features of the packaging (colour, materials, dimensions etc.) are considered as well as the technology available for recycling it. Both will show the percentage of packaging material that can be recycled and will be valid for 2 years. After this period, although the packaging may not have changed, a new evaluation will be required to continue using it, as the recycling processes may have developed positively or negatively in terms of its recyclability. Any qualitative or quantitative variation of the packaging components leads to the use of label being prohibited, a new assessment being required before it can be used again.
Dríade Soluciones Medioambientales and the Instituto Mediterráneo para el Desarrollo Sostenible (IMEDES, the Mediterranean institute for sustainable development) participated in developing the label, with the scientific assistance of the ESCI-UPF UNESCO Chair in Life Cycle and Climate Change. In addition, the latter will carry out an external review of every evaluation carried out, with the aim of ensuring that the criteria described in the label’s procedures are followed.
Stages for obtaining the label:
STAGE 1: Analysis and suggestions for improvement
- Exhaustive analysis of the interferences that the packaging could cause in the recycling processes: collection, selection and recycling of the material (by Dríade Soluciones Medioambientales).
- Suggestions for possible improvements to the packaging’s recyclability: changes of material or colour, reduction of weight, etc.(By Dríade Soluciones Medioambientales).
STAGE 2: Evaluation, review and certification
- Evaluation and determining of the percentage of the packaging’s material that can be recycled, in accordance with the regulations currently in force (by IMEDES and Dríade Soluciones Medioambientales).
- External review, by the ESCI-UPF UNESCO Chair in Life Cycle and Climate Change, to guarantee compliance with the criteria established in the label’s procedures.
- Issue of the report and certification of the percentage of the packaging’s material that can be recycled. (By IMEDES and Dríade Soluciones Medioambientales).
STAGE 3: Obtaining the recyclability label
- Granting of authorisation to include the label on the packaging (By Dríade Soluciones Medioambientales). The label will show the packaging’s recyclability percentage.
- With the client’s consent, publication that they have obtained this label on social media and on the website selloreciclabilidad.com
For more information: